The holidays flew by! As per usual, we didn’t get in half of the things we wanted to.
I would have to say one of the main highlights was:
A last-minute, ill-equipped, winter camping and cross-country skiing trip into the mountains.
I have been cross-country skiing once, in my entire life. It was during my first year of college and I was awful at it. So, what do we decide to do? Ski 16 km into the mountains to stay overnight in the middle of winter, and then 16km back the next day. Which isn’t that big of a deal; I picked it up pretty quickly and actually enjoyed skiing. It was more the fact that we decided to go the night before and had none of the proper equipment that would make the trip easy. But who said skiing and winter camping are supposed to be easy! We went for it and besides the fact I was freezing for most of it, it was so much fun… Please note the icicles on my hair.
When we got home, I made sure I made some delicious food, as living off of granola and rice didn’t really do it for me.
Ingredients (makes about 3 cups)
- 1 Cup cooked quinoa
- 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg, plus 1 large egg white (I used two eggs)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus more for skillet
- 1/4 Cup low-fat milk (I used Almond Milk)
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, butter, milk, and syrup until smooth.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- Lightly coat a large non-stick skillet or griddle with butter and heat over medium-high. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into skillet.
- Cook until bubbles appear on top. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside.
- Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit or whatever floats your boat.
I also made Nutella French toast, which sounds (and looks) like it would be amazing, but it really isn’t.. I guess when you put two good things together, it becomes too much of a good thing…. But the again, maybe I’m just too picky.
We are sooooo excited to get home and see Statler. I have thought about him everyday.#truelove